Saint Paul Federation of Educators
Posted: June 26, 2019
Saint Paul Federation of Educators (SPFE) is a union of teachers and educational support professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFE is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Educators, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 55 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The SPFE Business Manager/Accountant works closely with local union leadership to monitor the finances of the union. This position serves as the general ledger accountant and has responsibility for the daily financial and accounting data of the organization. This position will report to the SPFE Staff Director and duties and responsibilities include:
- General Ledger: Support accrual process and related GL activities including journal entries and reconciliations. Produce financial reporting, work with team to continue to optimize that.
- Accounts Payable: Work with staff to complete purchase authorization forms and attach account number, grant-funds identification, other information. Enter and pay bills, send out payments after signatures attached. Maintain paid folders, support vendor relationships. Support 1099 process including payment of amounts through Payroll system.
- Accounts Receivable: Prepare and process invoices as required. Track payments and past due accounts receivable. Prepare deposits for staff delivery and enter deposits into accounting system.
- Annual Audit & 990: Prepare annual schedules including functional expenses, 990 compensation schedules, and others. Review audit reconciliations with accountant/auditor and treasurer.
- Budget: Track and submit budget informational reports to officers for annual budget implementation and planning. Identify budget needs for reclassification, new accounts or merging of accounts. Follow designated operational/program budget format.
- HR & Payroll Administration: Co-Prepare bi-weekly payrolls in Paychex Complete resulting journal entries and transactions (1099 amounts). Assist with administration of onboarding/termination of staff, annual production of W-2’s, etc..
- Benefits Administration: Support 401k plan including per-payroll remittances, limits and other regarding individual accounts, 5500 reporting. Support HRA account including individual balance tracking. Make other payments including union dues.
- Grants & Restricted Funds: Assist with managing grant funds via customer/job fields in Quickbooks. Report on grant progress per internal timing.
- Other: Insurance provision support, other general business functionality.
Assist with answering phones and greeting members as needed, other life-of-organization involvement.
This is a part-time (20-24 hours per week), benefit eligible position (health insurance, retirement benefits, vacation, and sick time) in the OPEIU Local 12 bargaining unit. The wage range for this position is $20.67/hour-$30.25/hour, starting rate is negotiable. Flexible scheduling possible between the hours of 8:00a.m. and 6:00p.m., our office is open Monday-Friday. Additional hours available occasionally. This position is open immediately, state date negotiable.
Preference to applications received by July 15, 2019. If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in working for SPFE to Leah Lindeman at email@example.com.
SPFT is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants regardless of gender identification, race, ethnicity, or religion.