SPFE Professional Development Facilitator
Saint Paul Federation of Educators (SPFE) is a union of teachers and educational support professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFE is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 60 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
The Saint Paul Federation of Educators is seeking Professional Development Facilitators for our Foundations of Effective Teaching course. Foundations of Effective Teaching is a core course that addresses the fundamental aspects of teaching and learning that are relevant for teachers and classroom support staff in all grade levels and subject areas. This course meets Achievement of Tenure requirements for St. Paul Educators and is a 30-hour course offered multiple times per year at SPFE.
SPFE believes that the most relevant and effective professional development is led by other educators. Moreover, educator-driven professional development encourages a climate of constant learning and growth in our schools and in our union. Because of this, SPFE is proud to offer professional development that is research-based and entirely created and delivered by educators.
Duties and Responsibilities:
SPFE Facilitators are Responsible for:
- Completing all necessary facilitator training. For Foundations of Effective Teaching this includes: National Training through the American Federation of Teachers, Delivering Effective Professional Development, SPFE Course Revision training, and Race Forward Training.
- Preparing content and materials in advance,
- Working collaboratively with the PD Coordinator and other facilitators,
- Working with the SPFE office secretary to check class participants membership status and communicating with participants who are not eligible for free courses,
- Communicating any course changes to participants and SPFE office staff,
- Completing course paperwork at the end of a course;
- Participating in Peer Observation, and
- Other duties as outlined in the SPFE Facilitator Handbook.
- Must be a SPFE member in good standing;
- Must be grounded in and able to demonstrate strong equity lens;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with diverse populations, personalities and viewpoints;
- Experience facilitating preferred;
- Skilled at culturally proficient practices preferred.
This position requires a minimum of a two-year commitment to facilitating this course at least 1-2 times per year. Facilitators are paid $40/hour of facilitation and preparation time (up to six hours of preparation time for each time the course is offered).
Applications are due November 1, 2019.