Dear SPFE Member,
Your bargaining team has reached a tentative agreement with the district on a fair contract that addresses our key priorities! The tentative agreement includes:
- Improved class size language, and movement into the contract so it will now be continuing language;
- Increases in student mental health staffing and maintenance of contract language concerning student mental health support teams;
- Significant increases in wages for all members, particularly for our Education Assistants;
- A substantial increase in the one-time recognition payment for all members from federal American Recovery Plan (ARP) funds;
- Protection of Restorative Practices language;
- Maintenance of the married couples health insurance benefit for all members;
- Financial increases to health insurance contributions for all members;
- Increases in Appendix D hourly rates, including loss of prep and summer school pay for licensed staff;
- And fair summer wages and clarification of vacation time for SCSPs.
Today’s agreement is a victory for Saint Paul students and Saint Paul educators, and it was only possible through the hard work and engagement of members. From the bargaining team, to the contract action team, strike captains, building stewards, and every member who sent a letter, made a call, showed up to a rally, or took an action to support our bargaining – this is our victory. Working together and using our collective voice, we were able to secure tonight’s tentative agreement on a fair contract. When we fight, students and educators win!
Keep an eye out in the coming days for details about informational meetings where you’ll be able to learn more about the details about the tentative agreement and about a ratification vote.
While we are pleased with the agreement that we’ve reached today, our union siblings across the river with MFT are about to begin a strike tomorrow morning for a fair contract. We stand in solidarity with Minneapolis educators who are fighting for the safe and stable schools that Minneapolis students deserve. We encourage you to follow their efforts and find ways to support them when and where you can.
Your SPFE Bargaining Team