Saint Paul Federation of Educators, Temporary Part-time Summer Membership Organizer
Posted: April 26, 2019
SPFE will be hiring two members to be Summer Membership Organizers for the summer of 2019.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The SPFE summer membership organizer position is temporary and will work closely with local union leadership and other organizers. The primary responsibility of this position will be to sign-up new SPFE members. These conversations will include the following areas: membership sign-up for new SPPS employees, COPE conversation and COPE sign-up, identifying member concerns, and identifying members areas of interest. This position will report to the SPFE Staff Director and duties and responsibilities include:
- Hold one-to-one conversations with potential SPFE members to increase membership and participation in SPFE programming.
- Present on SPFE membership to SPFE Professional Development courses.
- Attend August on-boarding sessions to sign-up new members for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Assist in planning the New Teacher Luncheon in August.
- Must be a SPFE member in good standing.
- SPFE member leader experience (For example, member activists, CAT members, bargaining team member, building steward)
- Experience fighting for racial equality and social justice;
- Familiar with public education and education policy;
- Experience advocating for a cause;
- Creativity, problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Effective and efficient utilization of time management, work plans, and implementation of plans to meet objectives and goals;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Working with diverse populations, personalities and viewpoints;
- Access to reliable transportation and willing to use it for job-related tasks;
- Ability to work evenings and the occasional weekend; and
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
This is a temporary, part-time position with a wage of $25/hour. The temporary organizer will be contracted for approximately 15 hours per week from June 17, 2019—August 23, 2019 for nine of the ten weeks. There may be weeks that call for more or less than 15 hours, in those instances, the Organizer will consult with the staff director or designee about their time. Summer Organizers will not work the week of July 1-5.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill out the application at this link by Monday, May 13 at 5p.m.: https://forms.gle/GSkUS4pTE3foMXT66
Applicants who are selected for interviews, will be interviewed after the membership meeting on Monday, May 20, 2019.
Contact Leah at email@example.com or 651-222-7303 with any questions.
Saint Paul Federation of Educators (SPFE) is a union of teachers and educational support professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFE is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 55 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
SPFE is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants regardless of gender identification, race, ethnicity, or religion.