SPFE will be conducting a paid summer leadership training for up to 10 members for ten days the summer of 2022. Members who are interested in growing in their union leadership should consider applying. Participants will be selected in May. The program will run from August 1-5 and August 8-12, 2022.
The purpose of this program is to increase member leaders’ organizing skills. Participants will learn how to have effective 1:1 conversations and learn different layers and aspects of our union’s work.
Training Topics Include:
- What is power?
- SPFE evolution as an organizing union and internal structures
- Developing an organizing mindset
- Roles of Leaders
- SPFE organizing for racial equity
- SPFE narrative and importance of worldview
- Having 1:1 conversations and tough conversations
- Working with our community
- Roles and responsibilities of a building steward
- Planning an organizing campaign
- Local government and politics
One of the training opportunities will include having conversations with potential and possibly current members about the work of the union. These conversations will include the following areas: membership sign-up for new SPPS employees, COPE conversation and COPE sign-up, identifying member concerns, and identifying members areas of interest. Participants will work closely with SPFE organizers and responsibilities include:
- Hold one-to-one conversations with potential SPFE members to increase membership and participation in SPFE programming.
- Present on SPFE membership to SPFE Professional Development courses.
- Attend August on-boarding sessions to sign-up new members for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Assist in planning the New Teacher Luncheon in August.
- Must be a SPFE member in good standing.
- SPFE member activist/leader experience (For example, member activist who attends rallies/events, CAT member, bargaining team member, building steward)
- Interest in fighting for racial equality and social justice;
- Familiar with public education and education policy; and
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
Participants will be paid a $1000 stipend for the 10 days. Meals will be provided. Mileage will be reimbursed for any driving required for house visits and 1:1 conversations.
Please complete the following application by 5p.m. on Friday, May 6th if you are interested in participating in the SPFE Summer Leadership Training: https://forms.gle/4NyPxuAgUtns6BFbA
Please email President Leah VanDassor with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.