ATTENTION: Job Posting Open to all active members of the Saint Paul Federation of Teachers
In a program sponsored by the Saint Paul Federation of Teachers and Saint Paul Public Schools
POSITION: Public Education Family Advocate
Goals of Program/Position
- Expand enrollment in Saint Paul Public Schools through by recruiting new students and re-enrolling students who have left the public school system;
- Raise awareness of opportunities of high-quality educational programs and resources available to Saint Paul Public Schools students and families;
- Develop partnerships with community organizations and other allies that support Saint Paul Public Schools;
- Engage community leaders in activities to promote enrollment in Saint Paul Public Schools;
- Provide technical support to students and families wishing to enroll in Saint Paul Public Schools
- Provide information on Saint Paul Public Schools home-based and school resources; and
- Provide information on enrichment resources offered to SPPS students and families by city agencies and outside organizations.
- Excellent personal and written communication skills;
- Ability to quickly master Saint Paul Public Schools enrollment process and timelines;
- Ability to connect with Saint Paul Public Schools families in order to share information on community-based programs and resources, and more generally support parents in their quest for educational resources for their families;
- Attendance at periodic training and debriefing sessions;
- Availability to work a flexible schedule that maximizes contacts with students and families;
- Driver’s license and a vehicle to visit all neighborhoods throughout the city; and
- Willingness to voluntarily organize and participate in union or district sponsored activities – in addition to paid scheduled hours – in support of public education and Saint Paul Public Schools.
In order to be selected for this position, an applicant must be an active member of the Saint Paul Federation of Teachers and currently employed by Saint Paul Public Schools. Primary consideration will be given to applicants working as teachers, paraprofessionals, or in other positions that require regular student contact. In addition, applicants selected for the position must have completed a minimum of one year employment in Saint Paul Public Schools and have an excellent work record.
If selected for the position, participants must agree to attend all program meetings and training sessions. Participants will also be required to meet on a regular basis with supervisors to discuss progress toward program goals and milestones, and to identify additional support/training to support their success in the position.
Applicants must attend an initial 2-day training session before June 25 (dates to be determined). This position requires evening hours (5:00 p.m. through 8:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9-Noon on Friday) along with a six-hour workday on Saturday (10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) for five weeks, June 25-August 3 along with the two days the week of July 4th.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission of Saint Paul Public Schools and public education. Participants must agree to respect the confidentiality of information acquired during the performance of their duties.
Additional Expectations and Requirements
Community and Public School Activism – This position will require voluntary participation in union, school district and community actions and activities in addition to home-visiting work performed during paid scheduled hours. These additional activities include but are not limited to:
- Attendance at SPFT meetings and events;
- Attendance at relevant school district sponsored programs;
- Participation in political action meetings and activities that build support for Saint Paul Public Schools;
- Attendance at relevant community meetings to deepen community support for our public schools.
Salary/Benefits: $25 an hour for a 21-hour work week; plus mileage
Effective Dates: Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on May 21, 2018
How to Apply: Applications will be submitted to Saint Paul Federation of Teachers and can be filled out at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/DM5yZggDT8nONmm22
This program is made possible through a partnership of the Saint Paul Federation of Teachers, St. Paul Public Schools, and the American Federation of Teachers. SPFT, SPPS, and AFT are equal opportunity employers.