Saint Paul Federation of Educators
Professional Development Coordinator, Part-Time
Posted: May 9, 2019
*Deadline extended to June 10, 2019*
Saint Paul Federation of Educators (SPFE) is a union of teachers and educational support professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFE is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 60 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
The Saint Paul Federation of Educators is seeking a Professional Development Coordinator to continue leading our member-driven, high quality professional development program. This position will establish continuity, consistency, and equity to the SPFE PD coursework. Approximately 70% of the work will be logistical and clerical including managing classes, working with facilitators, creating and maintaining a class calendar, and ordering food and materials. Additionally, the position requires building relationships, recruiting participants and new facilitators, and attending committee meetings. The person in this position will work with the SPFE Employee Review Committee to find opportunities to delegate some responsibilities to PD facilitators.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Saint Paul Federation of Educators Professional Development Coordinator will coordinate all PD offerings at the local. The PD Coordinator’s role will consist of:
- Becoming and maintaining a familiarity with the SPFE membership, specifically those underrepresented, and creatively including them in future decision making and co-design of SPFE professional development.
- Continuing the work seeded by the current PD Leadership team to embed equity perspectives, content, research and feedback into SPFE’s PD offerings.
- Serving as a liaison between SPFE and districts sites to recruit participants and facilitators for SPFE PD programming.
- Collaborating with the SPFE accountant regularly on processing of payments for facilitators and materials.
- Adding PD Express course information including updating participants credits accordingly.
- Recruiting, onboarding and welcoming new facilitators and facilitators in training. Provide a thorough tour and a walk through of the manual.
- Managing email and website updates.
- Coordinating with SPFE staff to promote courses to SPFE membership.
- Managing room reservations, food orders, and material orders with support of SPFE staff.
- Reviewing the surveys at the end of all PD courses and analyzing and presenting data to Union leads and facilitators regularly.
- Providing coaching for facilitators based on feedback from participants and observers.
- Maintaining updated time sheets and connecting with facilitators and participants regarding time sheets as needed.
- Communications with all stakeholders including but not limited to, union leaders at all levels, SPPS staff and community members and external partners.
- Attending necessary committee meetings or identifying PD Facilitators to be representatives of SPFE and bring necessary information back to SPFE.
- Preparing documents for and occasionally attending monthly Executive Board meetings with relevant updates.
- Updating facilitator list and course list as needed.
- Must be a SPFE member in good standing.
- Must be grounded in and able to demonstrate strong equity lens;
- Familiar with SPFE professional development and policies. Ability to support novice and veteran facilitators in their learning and implementation of policies;
- Creative problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Effective and efficient utilization of time management, work plans, and implementation of plans to meet objectives and goals;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with diverse populations, personalities and viewpoints;
- Detail oriented;
- Experience facilitating preferred;
- Skilled at culturally proficient practices preferred.
This position will be contracted from June or July 2019-September 2020. This is a part-time position that will require working on site three days per week during summer months while PD courses are being offered. The summer time stipend for each summer (2019 and 2020) will be $7000, the 2019 stipend will be prorated based on start date and paid out bi-weekly. Hours during the school year will be more variable; up to 15 days of Union Business Leave days will be available as needed. The school year stipend will be $3000 and paid out monthly from September-May.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email one of the following:
- your resume or
- a letter expressing your interest and qualifications for this position or
- a video expressing your interest and qualifications for this position to Leah Lindeman firstname.lastname@example.org by 5p.m., June 10, 2019.