Saint Paul Federation of Educators
Temporary Part-time Community Organizer
Posted: December 18, 2018
Saint Paul Federation of Teachers (SPFE) is a union of teachers and educational support professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFE is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 60 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The SPFE community organizer position is temporary and will work closely with local union leadership and other organizers. The primary responsibility of this position will be working with the SPFE TIGER (Teaching and Inquiring about Greed, Equity, and Racism) team. This team explores tax avoidance by large corporations, wealthy non-profits that refuse to help their community by funding public schools, and lawmakers that are complicit in defunding our public education system. This position will report to the SPFE Staff Director and duties and responsibilities include:
- Leading the work of the SPFE TIGER (Teaching and Inquiring about Greed, Equity, and Racism) Central planning committee and working with members and parents on the team;
- The Central Planning Committee will oversee the organizing of TIGER team meetings and turning out members;
- The community organizer will work with the SPFE staff director and organizers on the following: strategizing and planning campaign actions; recruiting additional parents and community members from communities of color to participate on the TIGER team; organizing TIGER team presentations in the community: identifying TIGER members to lead presentations, setting presentation dates for parent or SPFE member groups at schools, community organizations, or with other small groups of vested community members; mobilizing the TIGER team to have conversations about this campaign via phone banks, door knocks, social media and other appropriate means; coordinating and participating in SPFE actions such as walk-ins, rallies, etc.; and coordinating SPFE campaign work with other labor and progressive groups as well as parent groups.
- TIGER team experience;
- Experience fighting for racial equality and social justice;
- Community organizing experience preferred;
- Familiar with public education and education policy;
- Experience advocating for a cause;
- Creativity, problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Effective and efficient utilization of time management, work plans, and implementation of plans to meet objectives and goals;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Experience with Google Docs, Microsoft Office and Excel;
- Working with diverse populations, personalities and viewpoints;
- Access to reliable transportation and willing to use it for job-related tasks;
- Ability to work evenings and the occasional weekend; and
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
This is a temporary, part-time position (approximately 10 hours per week) with a wage of $25/hour.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email one of the following:
- your resume or
- a letter expressing your interest and qualifications for this position or
- a video expressing your interest and qualifications for this position to Leah Lindeman email@example.com by 5p.m., Friday, January 11, 2019.
SPFE is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants regardless of gender identification, race, ethnicity, or religion.