Full-time Lead Organizer
Posted: August 19, 2022
Saint Paul Federation of Educators (SPFE) is a union of Teachers and Educational Support Professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFE is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Educators, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 70 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The SPFE Lead Organizer will work closely with local union leadership and have the primary responsibility of implementing SPFE’s strategic organizing plan, leading our team of organizers, and representing members. Organizers report to the SPFE President and Staff Director. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversee representational work with members, support, and report to the defense committee of the executive board;
- Lead the support given to the SPFE bargaining team, leading the team through negotiation planning and strategizing;
- Coach and provide support to SPFE turf organizers, lead turf organizer meetings regarding representational work;
- Identify, recruit, train, develop and support stewards and work-site leaders;
- Work to ensure leadership is representative of all member races, ages, gender, and other identities;
- Provide representation support to members and work with member leaders to assist members through misconduct investigations and performance improvement plans;
- Provide worksite organizing support to schools such as helping building leaders develop issue specific organizing campaigns, recruiting Contract Action Team (CAT) members, and supporting CAT efforts;
- Maintain visibility with the membership through building visits;
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with the membership;
- Provide advice and appropriate professional assistance to members;
- Support and participate on Professional Issues Committees for licensed staff;
- Support educational support professional bargaining units (EA and SCSP) organizing and labor management committees;
- Recruit non-members to be members;
- Work with external partners and coalitions as assigned;
- Strategize and provide insight and guidance to local SPFE leadership regarding local growth and direction;
- Required to work irregular/extended work hours as necessary and function with a high degree of independence;
- Must have a driver’s license and vehicle to conduct responsibilities; and
- Other duties as assigned.
We are seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, and have strong project management skills. You should have:
- A minimum of five years of labor organizing in collective bargaining campaigns, negotiating experience, and representation and contract enforcement experience;
- Experience fighting for racial equity and social justice;
- Experience leading and collaborating with multiple stakeholders from diverse populations and with diverse personalities and viewpoints;
- Must be able to identify injustices, investigate the root cause, and creatively problem solve for solutions;
- Strong listening skills and ability to take what you hear to resolve an issue or make progress toward compromise;
- Experience with planning and leading organizing actions for small and large groups;
- Ability to quickly build relationships and trust with people;
- Experience conducting one-to-one conversations;
- Experience creating agendas, facilitating, and summarizing action steps for small and large group committees and meetings;
- Effective and efficient time management, prioritization of work plans, and implementation of plans to meet objectives and goals; and
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of public education and educational policy issues; and
- Experience with Google Docs, Dropbox, and Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
This is a full time, salaried position with sick, vacation, retirement, and medical benefits.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume to Leah Lindeman at email@example.com.
SPFE is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants regardless of gender identification, race, ethnicity, or religion.