February 28, 2021
: Check here for updates and information on returning to buildings. New information this week: We have reached on Specialist and Substitute language in our Memorandum of Agreement.
Secondary In-person Reopening April 14: SPPS announced a “full reopening” of grades 6-12 this week, starting Wednesday, April 14. However, there are no clear plans or information on what this means exactly or how students will maintain current classes while the district also continues to offer a virtual school option. Secondary members: Please share your concerns about this announcement and any concerns from your first week of offering in-student supports .
Secondary Member Meeting to discuss “full reopening”: This Tuesday, March 2, at 4:00 pm, SPFE will be holding an informational meeting and question session for all members working in grades 6-12. Leah V. will be sharing all we have learned about the return to “full” in-person instruction and taking your questions. Here is the Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87591449818
New Accommodation Requests: If this future change in working conditions, such as returning to full in-person instruction, is too risky for you due to a health condition or a household members’s health, and you haven’t yet applied for an Executive Order or ADA accommodation or want to reapply, you should submit the appropriate paperwork as soon as possible. If your first request was approved, there is no need to reapply. Accommodation request materials can be found at this .
Solidarity for Safety: Maintaining solidarity and supporting your union siblings is critical at this time. Here are action steps you can take to stand with your co-workers:
- Report Concerns: Let SPFE leadership and staff know about current in-person conditions or VLS issues . SPFE leadership will be sharing updates on problems that are reported with the School Board and District weekly. You can read the 2/21/21 SPPS Board of education report .
- Report COVID cases: Be sure to report COVID cases using the and . SPPS is only sharing overall district numbers. Reporting information to SPFE will help us support members and reduce rumors.
- Donate to the Sick Leave Bank: Teachers and Educational Assistants will be allowed to donate sick leave to the sick bank beyond the donation limitations for the 2020-21 school year.
Elections: From the SPFE Elections Committee: SPFE Officer and Executive Board elections will be online this year. SPFE is working with Survey and Ballot Systems to ensure that all members have a safe and secure method to participate in elections. The will open Monday, February 15th at 8 AM and close on Thursday, March 18th at 5 PM.
Have you moved recently or do you need to update your personal email address? There is a link to do so at , or you can
SPFE 2020 Strike 1 Year Anniversary – Save the Dates! On Friday, March 12 at 5p.m. we will be hosting an online strike anniversary celebration with some special guests! Also, get your red ready! We will be wearing red on March 10, 11, and 12.
School Board Elections: There will be four seats up for election this fall: 3 regular seats (Directors Foster, Vue and Brodrick), and a special election to replace Director Marchese who is resigning. In 2021, we must elect school board members that see educators as partners, not enemies. You can find updates on the 2021 election cycle .
Child-sized Masks Still Available at SPFE Office! Buildings can send a representative to the SPFE office (23 Empire Drive) to pick up child-sized masks for your building. Masks will be available for easy pick-up on the following dates and times:
- Monday, March 1 between 1pm and 5pm
- Tuesday, March 2 between 8am and 5pm
- Thursday, March 4 between 8am and 5pm