Saint Paul Federation of Teachers (SPFT) is a union of teachers and educational support professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFT is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 55 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The SPFT temporary organizer position will work closely with local union leadership and other organizers during our current contract and revenue campaign. This position will report to the SPFT Staff Director and duties and responsibilities include:
- Assisting in and helping to organize SPFT’s members in current contract negotiations;
- Mobilizing members to participate in campaign actions;
- Mobilizing parents, community members, and student groups to get active in support of issues connected with SPFT contract negotiations;
- Having conversations with members and the community about this campaign via phone banks, door knocks, social media and other appropriate means;
- Coordinating and participating in SPFT actions such as walk-ins, rallies, etc.
- Training and debriefing participants in campaign events;
- Maintaining and distributing materials for use during campaign events;
- Representing SPFT while coordinating with other labor and progressive groups.
- Experience fighting for racial equality and social justice;
- Organizing experience preferred;
- Familiar with public education and education policy;
- Experience advocating for a cause;
- Creativity, problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Effective and efficient utilization of time management, work plans, and implementation of plans to meet objectives and goals;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Experience with Google Docs, Microsoft Office and Excel;
- Working with diverse populations, personalities and viewpoints;
- Access to reliable transportation and willing to use it for job-related tasks;
- Ability to work evenings and the occasional weekend; and
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
This is a temporary, full-time position with a wage of $25/hour and is not benefit eligible.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email one of the following:
- your resume or
- a letter expressing your interest and qualifications for this position or
- a video expressing your interest and qualifications for this position
to Leah Lindeman at email@example.com by 5p.m., Wednesday, December 13, 2017.
SPFT is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants regardless of gender identification, race, ethnicity, or religion.