Saint Paul Federation of Teachers
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2018
Saint Paul Federation of Teachers (SPFT) is a union of teachers and educational support professionals that is a national leader in innovative, social justice unionism. SPFT is affiliated with Education Minnesota, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association and represents 3500+ licensed employees, educational assistants (EA), and school and community service professionals (SCSP) in over 55 schools and educational programs in the St. Paul Public School District.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The SPFT Accountant works closely with local union leadership to monitor the finances of the union. This position serves as the general ledger accountant and has responsibility for the daily financial and accounting data of the organization. This position will report to the SPFT Staff Director and duties and responsibilities include:
- Accounts Payable: Prepare expense reimbursement forms, match delivery documentation to invoices, code documents for accounts, reconcile monthly credit card expenditures, process vouchers/invoices to appropriate staff for approval and account coding, reconcile travel expense vouchers and verify documentation, Maintain and track 1099 documentation/contracts and W-9 forms. Track affiliate memberships.
- Accounts Receivable: Prepare and process invoices as required. Track payments and past due accounts receivable. Prepare deposits for staff delivery and enter deposits into accounting system.
- General Ledger: Prepare adjusting entries as required, reconcile accounts as required. Run Trial Balance, Balance Sheet, Statement of Income and Expenditures and Monthly Budget Report of Expenses monthly and other reports as requested.
- Annual Audit: Prepare year-end closing entries and year-start-up reversals as required. Prepare annual reconciliations and detail of accounts payable, new equipment purchases, accounts receivable, severance and vacation and other detail of accounts as required. Review audit reconciliations with accountant/auditor and treasurer.
- Budget: Track and submit budget informational reports to officers for annual budget implementation and planning. Identify budget needs for reclassification, new accounts or merging of accounts. Follow designated operational/program budget format.
- Other: Prepare month-end Grant Subsidiary Reports as required. Administer and maintain 401K and complete annual reconciliation with third party administrator. Prepare and maintain employee HRA reimbursements and HRA filing system. Submit annual dues payroll withholding. Calculate annual fair share amounts and prepare annual fair share assessment forms and letters. Track employee/officer non-chargeable reports.
- Assist with answering phones and greeting members as needed.
- Accounting certification or degree and 5-8 years’ experience covering all applications preferred;
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Familiar with QuickBooks Accounting software;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and high-level skills in Microsoft Excel;
- Ability to perform highly detailed and analytical work;
- Understanding of payroll systems, processes, and benefit management;
- Ability to communicate financial information in an understandable, user friendly way to persons who are not specialists in financial matters;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with leadership, employees, and members of SPFT;
- Ability to work independently and in team settings;
- Able to maintain highest level of confidentiality;
- Physical abilities common to office work environment, computer work;
- Ability to align with union’s goals of organizing for racial equality and social justice; and
- Ability to work with diverse populations, personalities and viewpoints.
This is a full time Class I, benefit eligible position in the OPEIU Local 12 bargaining unit. The wage scale range for this position is $20.67/hour up to $30.25/hour.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in working for SPFT to Leah Lindeman at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 22, 2018.
SPFT is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applicants regardless of gender identification, race, ethnicity, or religion.